Afternoon & Evening Volcano Hiking Tour
Our Afternoon and Evening Active Volcano tours from Reykjavík Iceland take you directly to the brand-new eruption site at Litla Hrutur. Pass by the previous eruption sites of Fagradalsfjall and Meradalir in Geldingalur Valley and witness the vast scale of the changes these eruptions have made to the landscape.
The 2021 eruption lasted many months while the 2022 and 2023 eruptions petered out after several weeks. The area is still very active and fascinating, being the place for 3 eruptions within 3 years!
- Mossy-covered lava fields
- Fagradalsfjall Volcano & Meradalir Volcano
- Hike in Geldingadalur Valley
- Drive along Reykjanes Peninsula
- Seltún Hot Springs (we may skip this stop if the hike overruns)
- Experienced guide for the tour and hike
- Wi-fi on board
- Parking fee
- Headlamps on the evening tour departure
- Meals & drinks
- It is essential that you dress properly for this hike. A thermal base layer and waterproof outer layer are recommended. Jeans are not advisable as if it rains they will stay wet for hours and you risk hypothermia
- Good sturdy walking shoes, preferably with ankle support
- Wool/fleece headwear and gloves
- Water & snacks
- Hiking poles are recommended but not mandatory. This can also be rented from BusTravel Iceland
- The hike to the volcano is rated challenging for a reasonably fit person.
- The hike can take around 2 hours each way.
- Volcanoes are a natural phenomenon and the level of volcanic activity at the site varies daily. Even if the volcano is not erupting during your visit, visiting the area is still fascinating.
- The duration of the tour is approx. 9 hours.
- There is no food included on this tour so we recommend you bring a packed dinner/snacks and water.
- Cancellation policy: Full refund if cancelled more than 24 hours in advance of the tour. No refund is cancelled with less than 24 hours notice.
- 11 hours