Inside the Volcano from Reykjavik
This one-of-a-kind tour takes you deep within the earth inside the volcano! Þríhnúkagígur is a dormant volcano in the Blue Mountains or Bláfjall, just outside Reykjavík. The last eruption here formed a large domed magma chamber. The chamber indeed is unusually large with a ground area of over 3000 sqm with the crater walls gradually rising to the crater at the top. Until recently it was only possible for expert climbers to abseil down into this grand chamber. This was highly dangerous thereby making the volcano inaccessible to most.
No longer! After the installation of highly specialized equipment, namely an elevator, this natural phenomenon was finally opened up to the general public.
The chamber is strategically lit to display the volcano in all its magnificence, with pathways around the area providing safe walking areas. Grasp this opportunity and join us on this unique tour and experience this natural wonder.
- Spectacular descent into Thríknúkagígur volcano
- Walk through ancient lava fields
- Complimentary Icelandic meat soup and hot-chocolate
- Reykjavík pickup and drop off
- Fully guided tour
- Soup and drink
- Hiking clothes and rain gear
- snack and drink or water bottle
- wind jacket and warm clothing
- The tour is operated daily between May and October. Outside of these months, the elevator and other equipment are removed from the site and the crater entrance cordoned off.
- The tour involves walking 3.5km each way over sometimes uneven terrain. This is of course guided. We also offer a helicopter transfer tour.
- The minimum age for this tour is 8 and this is non-negotiable.